Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend wore me out!

Wow - this was one heck of a weekend, and it traces all the way back to last Tuesday when Mom so innocently said, "Why don't we stop at Ikea before we go home?" Little did I know her master plan!! We ended up purchasing some new cabinets for the office area where we also display seed beads and crystals for sale for the home classes. I'm thrilled to get new furniture that matches our desk and the cabinets in the studio, but it is Ikea after all, and must be assembled.

To make a long story shorter, let me try to summarize. This project involved two trips to Ikea, 10 different pieces and parts to assemble, the purchase of a combo screwdriver/drill to save my poor right hand (more on that in a minute,) moving roughly eleventy million items in the office to get the furniture placed, and a couple of well-timed curse words. It wouldn't have been such an issue, except we had 10 women showing up on Saturday afternoon for a class so we had a HARD deadline!

We made it...barely...I finished all my tasks for the reorganization and for the class prep about 5 min. after the first student walked in. I'm absolutely loving the way the whole thing looks, so I know it was worth it. We used to have a large oval table in the middle of the room to put the beads on, and now the table is out of here and we can move in the room again. Delightful!

The class was Kumihimo with Beads, and everyone had a blast! I've already received three emails from the students saying how much fun they're having with their new skill. Even the lady who swore to never touch Kumihimo because it was "boring." HA! I showed you, Kathryn Duckett!

After having only three hours of sleep the night before, I must confess I was in bed for a long nap roughly 15 min. after the last student left, and then also slept a good part of the day on Sunday, catching up.

I've been having trouble off and on for the last few months with my hands (especially my right) tingling periodically. Over the last few weeks it's gotten worse, and I woke up today with my right ring finger completely numb and without sensation for a good five min. I did some research on the internet and discovered it's probably a compressed nerve in my elbow since what's going on with me fits all those symptoms. I've started taking ibuprofin to reduce inflammation as well as icing it. When you make your living with your hands, it's scary for this type of thing to happen.

I've also been on a bit of a beading break the last few weeks, mainly because I just felt creatively blocked. I should be designing up a storm at this time of year, but instead I hadn't touched needle and thread at all. This type of "beading block" has happened to me in the past - it rarely lasts more than two weeks, so it's no big deal other than the fact that I'm facing some BIG 2010 class proposal deadlines at the end of the month. The timing could have been better. I'm pleased to report, though, that the block has been broken through tonight. I think I managed to work up a piece that will be incredibly popular and pleasing - I'm still working out the details of it, but it's looking really good at this point. Thank goodness!!

I'll try to shoot some photos Monday of the new office space layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment